Wednesday, June 15, 2011

nice lil saturday

This past weekend marked the beginning of my attempt to try some new things in Austin. Well, one new thing and two favorites. Baby steps. Saturday consisted of the Austin Farmers' Market, and then Enoteca for lunch and a stroll through Uncommon Objects. The Farmers' Market we went to was downtown on Guadalupe, between 4th and 5th St. It was fun and I got some good stuff, but I have to say it doesn't really compare to some of the farmers' markets I went to in California. Namely, I had visions of multiple tents full of fresh flowers, like at the OB Farmers' Market in San Diego. Not so much. The only flowers I saw were at a tent with other vegetables - $12 for nice little packaged bunch of wildflowers. Pass. Overall though, it was a fun little market. I just really like the feel of farmers' markets. And the tasty things I can make with the things I buy.
[Bread, Havarti Cheese, Tomatoes and Basil all from the Market.]

Next, we ventured on to a little place called Enoteca on South Congress for lunch. It's become a fast favorite for the guy and I. This time, we feasted on the Gnocchi Arrabbiata and the Chopped Salad. Can you guess who ordered what? Wrong. I enjoyed the gnocchi while H had the salad.
 [Best gnocchi of your life.]
 [Chopped salad.]
 [H loving his salad.]
After lunch we walked down South Congress about a block to Uncommon Objects. Definitely one of my favorite places. I think I've only ever actually purchased two items, but I could spend hours weaving around the jam-packed space. Not only is the merchandise interesting on its own, the way everything is displayed is incredible. Sadly, I learned the semi-hard way that pictures aren't allowed, so I can't post any. But if you're in Austin or plan to visit any time soon - check it out.

1 comment: