Monday, June 27, 2011

walton's fancy and staple

On Saturday, we went downtown to Walton's Fancy & Staple on West 6th Street. Ever since I heard that Sandra Bullock had opened this deli/patisserie/florist/gift shop, I've wanted to check it out. She also owns Bess Bistro, which is just across the street and is the more upscale, sit-down version of the pair. Obviously, I was hoping I'd just happen to run into her and become fast friends, but I thought I'd probably still enjoy myself if it didn't happen. Let me just say, this place is adorable. From the chalkboard menus to the sidewalk cafe type tables, it had me at hello. I ordered the 'Gobble' and H decided on the good old fashioned Reuben. Mine sounded great in theory - turkey, provolone, sprouts, cucumber, and avocado. I was in heaven just reading the description. So we put in our orders, grabbed a coke and a cream soda and waited patiently for our food. I'm not going to bad-mouth any places on here, that's not what this endeavor is about, but I also want to be honest. I was not very impressed with my sandwich. The bread was pretty dry and I had a hard time even locating the avocado. I don't think there was anything else in the way of spreads on the entire sandwich, which I thought was odd. Still, it wasn't unbearable, it just won't be something I order again without making some specific requests when placing my order. H's reuben on the other hand was delightful. I scored two whole bites (note the sarcasm here). I can't really blame him though, because it was really tasty. I'm not a big fan of rye bread, which is why I usually don't order reubens at restaurants, but this seemed to be very mild. And you can't really go wrong with sauerkraut  and thousand island dressing. To top it off, H went back for more and ordered a piece of red velvet cake to go. That alone I would go back for. I'm not a big fan of icing, but certain recipes of cream cheese icing just capture me. I pretty much want it to be straight cream cheese with a dash of sugar. Nothing gritty, nothing too sweet. The only other icing that I crave is the cream cheese goodness on the 'Not So Red Velvet' cupcakes at Cupcakes Squared in San Diego.
[The Gobble.]

[Table for two.]

[Dirty chips.]

I'll definitely be going back to try some of the other tasty treats I saw on the menu and in the cases. 'Lone Star Whoopie Pie', anyone?

1 comment:

  1. I'm now very hungry, thank you very much! :) Red velvet anything and cream cheese frosting? Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete